Monday, December 6, 2010

God Grant Me The Serenity

This Spiral Notebook was my Dad's. Compiled in the late 1930s or early 1940s, it starts with:

"To Wally - There's Love In Them Thar' Pages... From Jess Nolan"

Wally was my Dad, Wallace M. DeLong. Jess Nolan was... well, I'm not exactly aure. It was a tough time then; my Dad was going through the twelve-step program of Alcoholics Anonymous. As I recall my Aunt Mary Lou saying, Jess Nolan was someone who was keen on my Dad, but the feeling wasn't quite mutual. That's what she said, anyway.

The ending of the Spiral Notebook says something diffeent, however, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it:

"Wally - Thank you again, for inspiring me to look up, & read & copy, all these lovely verses etc. Reading them, & putting them down for you, has helped me too. This time, I saw them through different eyes. LOVE YOU! JESS NOLAN."

Was it a mutual agreement that they have this to remember each by? Or something else?

My Dad was born March 30, 1910. I have no idea if she's even still around; my Dad passed away in 1980, just shy of his 70th birthday. If you've searched for Jess Nolan and have found this blog, please let me know so I can fill in these blanks.

There aren't any titles to the pages, nor of each verse or entry. But I will have a photo of the page to go along with each.

We begin tomorrow with the first page...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Google Analytics Alternative